Comune di Castelluccio Valmaggiore(Fg) - Sito Istituzionale

  • Martedi, 23 aprile 2019

Sei in: Homepage / Cultura e Turismo / Arte e Monumenti (Art and monuments) / (The ancient Byzantine tower)

(The ancient Byzantine tower)

torre

The large Byzantine tower is the oldest evidence of Castelluccio Valmaggiore. Overlooking the valley of Celone, the tower served as a strategic observatory outpost on the Trajan way.

On the remains of the Castle was built the mother church of S. John the Baptist, rebuilt in 1958.

The Tower is 20m high on a polygonal shape foundation baseline. From this base rises for 16m a solid cylindrical. The internal diameter of which is 6.20 m, while the thickness of the circular walls is 2.50 m.

The tower is an historical, artistic and cultural place, and is the seat of a the Battle of Hannibal museum.